At the InfoSec World 2011 conference, in the sessions I attended, there was quite a bit of discussion about moving to the cloud as well as cloud outages. What did I discover:
- Migration to the cloud requires planning and resources
- Migration to the cloud requires a team including legal
- Diversification is very important
- It must be easy to migrate
- Security as a Service is a valid option
- I should not lower my standards just to enter the cloud
Some of this was discussed at InfoSec World 2011, The Virtualization Security Podcast of 4/21, and while at Innovations at Epcot Center.
I was reading the post Small Business Virtualization and that really got me thinking about Small to Medium Businesses and what part Cloud Computing will play in that market. There are plenty of small businesses in and around my area and I have a couple of friends that are the owners of a couple of these small businesses. A majority of these small businesses have a single or a couple of point of sale machines that feed to the accounting program. It is these businesses that I think of when I think of what a small business is. Would virtualization help these companies? Sure, I think so but would it really be worth the cost to setup and maintain?