Intigua, a two-time “Best of VMworld” winner, has pioneered the virtualization and encapsulation of server management tools to transform fragmented, manually intensive systems management tools and processes into agile, fully automated, software defined operations and policy-driven services.
Intigua’s software gives enterprise IT Operations a vendor-neutral central control plane across all server management tools, 1000s of servers, distributed data centers and hybrid cloud environments.
Intigua’s goal is to streamline and accelerate IT Operations Management, with its focus on server management tools.
The company’s unique encapsulation technology solves a major and often unforeseen challenge faced by IT when transitioning from physical to large-scale virtual and cloud infrastructures:
- How to deploy, and manage the life-cycle of, agent-based and agentless server monitoring, back-up, configuration management, log analytics, and security technologies never intended for the massive scale and dynamic nature of today’s virtual and cloud-based environments.
Intigua’s encapsulation technology gives you unified control over all your linux and windows server tools for monitoring, backup, log analytics, security and configuration management across physical, virtual and cloud environments.
Enterprises today can’t fully benefit from the agility and cost-savings of virtual and cloud computing because management applications are still based on a 1990s client-server operational model where management agents are physically installed and tightly-coupled to each server end-point. This model was originally designed for static, physical data centers where servers changed relatively infrequently.
Intigua virtualizes the management layer – just as servers, storage and networks have been virtualized — de-coupling agents from the underlying server infrastructure. By eliminating the need to install physical agents on servers and encapsulating agents in self-contained virtual containers (similar to VMDKs), Intigua makes ongoing management tasks such as provisioning and updating agents as simple as copying a single file to all required servers. These virtual agents deliver the exact same functionality as their physical counterparts but do not make changes (registry/DLLs, shared objects, directories, etc.) to the servers on which they are running.
And by developing a new abstraction layer for to manage server tools, Intigua prepares IT organizations for the Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) and delivering “IT as a service,” and “infrastructure as code” by transforming existing server management tools into dynamic, policy-based data center services that are much simpler and faster to provision and control.
Intigua also helps ensure uptime, performance and security by ensuring that critical agents are installed and running properly at all times; by “sandboxing” agents in virtual containers to prevent any outages due to misbehaving agents; and by automating many of the manual processes associated with agents, reducing the potential for human error.
Intigua is designed to remove operational silos and enable agile collaboration between enterprise IT teams, including IT Ops, tools SMEs, DevOps, application owners and IT audit teams.
Intigua’s technology works at two levels:
- At the tools level: Intigua transforms agent-based and agentless tools into services. It encapsulates, controls and monitors all server management tools with a unique container technology specifically designed for the architecture and operational lifecycle of these tools. Standard tool operations are abstracted via REST-APIs (e.g., install, configure, start, stop, and remove). Key information previously locked away inside individual tool consoles is now accessible and sharable.
- At the server level: Intigua automatically discovers and applies user-defined tags for machines to create logical application views and server groupings. It lets you normalize deployment and maintenance processes that will work across all your compute environments. It policy engine lets you continuously enforce policies that match server requirements with appropriate tools and configurations to simplify operational and regulatory compliance.
Based on its encapsulation technology, and with its policy engine, Intigua can automate the entire lifecycle of server management tools: to configure, register, deploy, manage, monitor, migrate and upgrade/downgrade all tools, whether internally developed, custom or from any vendor or open-source project.
Intigua enables scalability and agility by virtualizing existing management applications — eliminating the need to physically install agents on the target OS of all servers, and reducing the time and effort required to provision and update management software across large-scale infrastructures.
It enhances reliability and lowers deployment risk by encapsulating management software in self-contained virtual containers – similar to VMDKs — that run completely isolated from underlying OSs.
Scalability is also achieved by tightly integrating with hypervisor management platforms such as VMware vCenter.
Agent resource throttling: For the first time, IT organizations can configure centralized policies to govern the amount of VM resources consumed by management software, ensuring agents do not impact quality of service for production applications. Auto-remediation policies can also automatically re-start agent processes (and related OS processes such as WMI) in case of failure. Auto-remediation policies can also automatically reinstall agents if needed.
Plus, IT organizations can now continuously monitor and control all of their heterogeneous management applications in real-time from a single unified console.
Administrators can configure centralized policies to govern the amount of VM resources consumed by management applications, ensuring quality of service for business applications executing on the same VMs. They can also configure Proactive Management policies to perform auto-remediation actions on failed management software.
Intigua provides a single unified console for continuously monitoring the health of all management applications in your environment. It also provides centralized control such as the ability to start or stop all management services on target VMs simultaneously.
Improve server security and minimize privileged access: Intigua provides centralized fine-grained role-based access control to information and logs needed for server tool configuration and management without requiring direct and privileged server access.
This eliminates the need for “temporary access privileges” which creates administrative overhead and lacks agility, or “permanent access privileges” which results in the proliferation and accumulation of access privileges that increases risk and exposure.
Server tools for monitoring, backup, security, log analytics, and configuration management are essential for IT operations, but they are often difficult and very time consuming to provision, update and roll-back — especially in large-scale infrastructures with hundreds and thousands of servers that are constantly changing. Misbehaving management software can wreak havoc with SLAs, impacting performance and availability of Tier 1 apps.
Intigua allows IT teams to transform how server management tools are delivered and managed. By de-coupling the server tool management stack from the underlying infrastructure, Intigua eliminates many of the challenges typically associated with agent-based and agentless software. Based on this, IT teams can offer server management services that simplify and accelerate many important Data Center initiatives.
Achieve a Software-Defined Data Center: The IT Industry is moving forward quickly to virtualize the network, storage and compute layers. With Intigua, delivery of operational management services and tools, such as back-up, monitoring, antivirus, etc., can also be virtualized and become part of SDDC and infrastructure-as-code initiatives.
Accelerate Cloud Migration & Integration: One Intigua customer reports that for just a single server management tool managed by Intigua, they were able to save an hour per server migrated to the cloud. With thousands of servers, that can add-up to man years of time savings. Intigua’s policy engine ensures that server management capabilities carry over as servers are migrated, automatically applying the appropriate tools, services and management configuration for each environment. IT staff is now free to focus on other issues knowing that all management tools are connected, running and optimized according to corporate policy.
Simplify Data Center Consolidation: Intigua normalizes server tool orchestration processes across tools and computing environments. This greatly simplifies tool and server consolidation and accelerates data center consolidation initiatives. Because Intigua automatically migrates server management capabilities including both agents (where relevant) and service configurations, IT Operations can more easily migrate server tools without tool SME involvement.
Easily Swap Out Tools and Avoid Vendor Lock-In: Intigua automates the complete decommission / commission process for all managed servers and integrates with change control systems for scheduled migration. This makes it easy for IT Operations to migrate thousands of servers to new server tools at once, or to try out new tools on a select group of servers, with ease and confidence that applications and end-users will not be adversely affected.
Puppet Integration: Intigua gives an easy way for many Puppet users across an organization to plug and play with virtual and cloud-based infrastructure and to integrate with and embrace enterprise architectural standards and regulatory requirements. Intigua can also integrate with other server configuration management tools, such as Chef.
Intigua helps IT Operations save time and effort with typical day-to-day server management tasks.
- Rapidly provision and update server management software — as well as quickly roll-back faulty upgrades — by virtualizing management applications, eliminating the need to physically install agents on all target servers.
- Reduce server downtime and reboots by virtualizing tool agents and running them in management containers Intigua eliminates any undesired effects tools may have on business applications running in the same server. Tool behavior and resource utilization are controlled and remediated proactively.
- Enable continuous delivery and continuous operations with automated tool deployment and registration, ensuring appropriate server management tool configurations are updated seamlessly as servers are promoted from development to production. Intigua ensures continuous operations by drastically reducing activities that disrupt servers, applications or end-users, such as server reboots, planned downtime required for tool maintenance, upgrades or rollbacks.
- Enforce policy compliance across mixed infrastructure with centralized policy-based IT operations, IT teams have the controls required to attest that corporate and regulatory policies are enforced across tools configurations and computing environments.
- Span hybrid clouds with a single centralized solution for physical, virtual, private and public cloud, and hybrid infrastructures.
- Gain visibility and control into the health of all your management software via a single unified dashboard, and instantly start/stop management processes executing on all VMs simultaneously.
- Eliminate the need for direct server access by providing centralized, fine-grained role-based access control to information and logs that are needed for server tool configuration and management without requiring direct and privileged server access.
- Ensure security & compliance by auto-discovering all VMs and automatically assigning the proper security and compliance software to them, based on policies. Intigua also simplifies privileged access control by eliminating the need for root access to provision, update and diagnose management software.
- Exceed SLAs by sandboxing management software in virtual containers (similar to VMDKs) and controlling the percentage of VM resources consumed by them, via centralized policies, in order to assure quality of service for business applications.
- Integrate and extend: Leverage ourREST API for rapid integration with cloud orchestration solutions such as vCloud Director and scripting platforms such as Chef and Puppet. Integrate Intigua into your existing infrastructure via broad support for heterogeneous management environments (IBM Tivoli, HP, Microsoft, Hyperic, Puppet, Splunk,etc.), operating systems and hypervisor platforms.
A partial list of tools Intigua currently encapsulates includes: AlertLogic – AppDynamics – Blade Logic – BMC Control-M – CA Technologies SystemEDGE – EMC Networker – FalconStor IPStore – HP OM – HP SA – IBM Symphony – IBM Tivoli ITM – Imperva SecureSphere – McAfee EPO – Microsoft Forefront – Microsoft SCEP – Microsoft SCOM – ObservIT – Splunk – SumoLogic – Symantec NetBackup – Trend Micro Deep Security – Tripwire Tripwire – VMware Log Insight – VMware vCenter Hyperic – VMware VCM – Zabbix.