Virtualization Monitoring and Analytics
Virtualization and cloud computing make datacenters more nimble but also create new complexities. Additional layers of abstraction in datacenters make problem investigation, resolution and avoidance difficult. Datacenter administrators want the ability to link user or application related issues to events happening in the infrastructure tiers. Conversely, they need the ability to locate the impact of resource problems on users and mitigate it as much as possible. For dynamic virtual environments, they also need the ability to store historical data from all technology tiers in full fidelity, so they can go back in time and find the root-cause of problems. Existing IT management technologies either offer inadequate insights into virtual environments or provide a limited view and focus solely on the virtualization layer. Most of them also cannot collect or store performance data at full fidelity due to storage limitations and the inability to scale. As a result, many problems in virtualized environments remain unresolved and therefore keep recurring.
Splunk App for Virtualization
Splunk apps for virtualization combine the power and flexibility of Splunk with a tailored experience for virtualization technologies. Some of the virtualization technologies currently covered by Splunk include Citrix XenDesktop, Citrix XenApp, Citrix XenServer and VMware vSphere. These apps accelerate data collection from the virtual infrastructure and allow mashing up of this data with data from other technology tiers such as storage, networking, applications and operating systems. Splunk currently offers over 320 such Apps to cover the different technologies in the IT stack. Visit the Splunk store to learn more about the virtualization apps at Splunkbase.
Splunk App for VMware
Comprehensive cross-tier operational visibility across your virtual environment
The Splunk App for VMware unlocks the value of vSphere virtualization data from the dynamic VMware environment. This App helps harness, analyze and visualize valuable metrics by collecting logs, topology and tasks and events from vCenter Server and logs and performance metrics from ESX/i hosts and virtual machines, such as performance metrics, logs, vCenter Server tasks and events.
This App provides deep operational visibility and empowers administrators with an accurate real-time picture of the health of their environment, proactively identifying performance and capacity bottlenecks.
The Splunk App for VMware provides over 25 out-of-the-box reports including real-time dashboards that
- Visualizes the operational health of the VMware environment
- Provides interactive topology maps highlighting problems and statistical comparisons based off pre-defined, customizable thresholds
- Give visibility into potential security breaches and non-compliant usage patterns
- Cater to the analysis on consumption and utilization of resources for capacity optimization and planning
- Centralizes IT monitoring by consolidating data across physical, virtual and cloud infrastructures, applications, operating systems and more
Here are some recommended resources to get you started:
- 3-minute video
- Fact Sheet
- Solution Guide
- Cloudshare Case-study
- Datacenter Virtualization: New Visibility Gaps Create Big Data Opportunities White-paper
- Control Virtual Chaos White-paper
- Blog post
Get started with a free download from splunkbase. Well-documented videos guide you on how to install, configure and use the Splunk App for VMware.
- Release notes
- Installation videos – Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- Usage guide videos – Part 1, Part 2, Part 3