ConVirture offers a powerful management platform for administering and automating your heterogeneous virtualization and cloud infrastructure.
Heterogeneous Virtualization Management
ConVirt is an enterprise-wide solution for managing your virtualization infrastructure, including host servers, virtual machines, and related network and storage resources. ConVirt provides full lifecycle management of this infrastructure, including provisioning, configuration, monitoring, administration, and advanced automation and orchestration. By providing standardized, enterprise-grade management across every hypervisor platform in the datacenter, ConVirt enables you to choose the right platform for each application, and build out your virtualized infrastructure in the most flexible and cost effective way.
Cloud Platform Management
ConVirt enables you to manage your private and public cloud infrastructure in a highly scalable and secure fashion the way you manage your on-premises virtualization today. By managing traditional virtualized workloads side-by-side with private, hybrid and public cloud operations, ConVirt allows you to bring cloud management into the datacenter so you can more effectively manage governance and usage, and quickly react to changing business priorities.
ConVirt Open Source provides the core functionality for centrally managing your open source KVM or Xen virtualized environment, including monitoring, configuration management, templates-based provisioning, and live migration.
ConVirt Open Source is the leading open source product for managing Xen and KVM, enabling you to standardize and proactively manage your virtualized environment in a centralized fashion. With ConVirt, you can create and provision “gold” images, diagnose performance problems, and balance load across the data center, all from a highly interactive Web based interface and with consistent feature set across open source virtualization platforms. As an open source product, ConVirt Open Source is free to download and use. With a large user community and the commercial backing of Convirture, companies large and small use ConVirt as the strategic solution to their virtualization management needs. Below is a summary of the key features of ConVirt Open Source:
3-tier, standards-based architecture ConVirt Open Source is built on a brand new, 3-tier, repository based architecture, delivering the scalability, security, and integration ability necessary to satisfy even the most demanding organizations.
- Highly interactive Web interface – ConVirt Open Source delivers an Ajax-based, highly interactive rich interface application, which you can access from anywhere via a Web browser. The user interface has been dramatically improved, with interactive dashboards bringing the most pressing issues to your attention right away, while providing the necessary details to diagnose and fix problems.
- Data Repository – ConVirt Open Source includes a data repository, which serves as a central data store for all of the virtual machine and server configuration, task history, and availability and performance information. The amount of data ConVirt Open Source retains is fully customizable to your business needs, and you can view the historical information inside of the ConVirt Open Source dashboard or integrate it with your existing reporting tools.
- Scalable and reliable agent-less architecture – Unlike other solutions, ConVirt Open Source does not require that you deploy an agent on the servers being managed. By eliminating the need to deploy software on the managed servers, ConVirt Open Source requires minimal effort to setup and install and can be rolled out very quickly.
- Multi-user administration – ConVirt Open Source enables you to share responsibility for managing the virtualized environment between multiple administrators while maintaining full accountability. Each administrator has his or her own login and all of the actions they perform are being continuously audited.
Server Pool-based Management In order to take advantage of the agility introduced by virtualization, you need to uniformly manage pools of servers according to IT policies and resource constraints. ConVirt Open Source simplifies server pool management by letting you monitor, provision, and configure virtual machines at the server pool level. For example, ConVirt Open Source summarizes key monitoring information across a server pool, allows you to apply pool-wide configuration and provisioning policies, and lets you associate shared storage with a pool of servers. Templates-based provisioning ConVirt Open Source takes a templates-based approach to server provisioning, letting you standardize your virtualized environments. You can easily customize the out-of-box templates or create new ones based on your own reference images or those of 3rd party virtual appliances. In just a few minutes, you can associate shared storage, define network parameters, and allocate CPU and memory to a template. Once you have a template defined, you can provision it onto a new or existing server with a single click.
- Integrated virtual appliance browser – ConVirt Open Source has an integrated appliance catalog browser that detects ready-to-deploy virtual appliances from a growing number of leading 3rd party appliance vendors. You can browse the catalog of appliances — fully configured application images — and download virtual appliances right from the ConVirt Open Source dashboard. You can also publish any internal appliances and make them immediately available for provisioning with ConVirt Open Source.
- Thin provisioning – ConVirt Open Source allocates storage as needed by the virtual machines instead of provisioning all of it upfront, enabling you use your storage resources much more efficiently.
Monitoring and configuration management ConVirt Open Source’s monitoring and configuration management functionality enables you to quickly identify bottlenecks, re-allocate resources, and ensure compliance with corporate policies.
- 24×7 availability and performance monitoring – As soon as a virtual machine is deployed or a physical server is added, ConVirt Open Source automatically collects a comprehensive set of availability, performance and utilization metrics for CPU, memory, storage, and network I/O. All of the monitoring information is presented at multiple levels — individual virtual machine, physical server, server pool, and enterprise, bringing the most pressing issues to your attention right away.
- Historical information – ConVirt Open Source tracks historical information in the data repository and presents it via highly customizable interactive charts, enabling you to quickly identify performance trends and proactively re-allocate resources before problems occur.
- Detailed configuration information – ConVirt Open Source automatically collects detailed configuration information for the physical servers and virtual machines. All of the information is also aggregated at a server pool and datacenter levels, providing you with a consolidated view of your entire environment and helping you ensure compliance with corporate policies.
- Template compliance tracking – Provisioning templates are a great way to deploy standardized configurations across your environment. However, it is also important to ensure that virtual machines comply with corporate standards post provisioning. ConVirt Open Source tracks the relationships between virtual machines and the templates that were used to deploy them, and flags any discrepancies.
ConVirt Open Source lets you fully administer all the virtual machines in your open source virtualization deployment from a single console. For example, you can create, start, stop, snapshot, and de-commission virtual machines right from the ConVirt Open Source dashboard. You can also perform actions inside the virtual machine by launching the virtual machine console from within ConVirt Open Source.
- Maintenance mode – ConVirt Open Source simplifies the time-consuming task of taking a server down for maintenance by enabling you to migrate all of the virtual machines on that server to a different server with spare capacity and optionally migrate them back when the original server is back online.
- Changing resource allocation on a running VM – With ConVirt Open Source, you can change resource allocation on a running virtual machine without taking down the application or impacting your users.
ConVirt Open Source automates virtual machine migration and placement, simplifying the time consuming and overwhelming task of balancing load across your virtualized environment.
- Drag-and-drop live migration – ConVirt Open Source lets you move live virtual machines between hosts with a simple drag-and-drop operation — while they are running, without interrupting their operations. This allows you to re-allocate physical resources to virtual machines and balance the workload without incurring any downtime. Whether you migrate a single virtual machine or a whole set of virtual machines, and whether you migrate them live or cold, you migrate them with a single drag-and-drop operation!
- Intelligent virtual machine placement – When provisioning a new virtual machine or migrating an existing virtual machine, it is important to understand which server is the best candidate to host the additional workload. However, as the number of servers grows, determining resource utilization across servers gets increasingly difficult. ConVirt Open Source eliminates this time-consuming and error-prone task by automatically identifying the best placement of the virtual machine within the server pool, based on performance and resource utilization.
Storage monitoring and configuration
ConVirt Open Source lets you associate shared NAS/SAN storage topologies with server pools. Once storage is configured at the server pool level, all new virtual machines will inherit the same storage settings. At the same time, ConVirt Open Source automatically tracks storage usage across server pools, letting you monitor resource consumption in real-time and more easily plan for capacity.
- Datacenter-wide view of storage – ConVirt Open Source enables you to define and monitor storage resources at the datacenter level, providing you with a centralized view of the storage allocation across your environment.
In cases where application isolation is required, ConVirt Open Source allows you to define host private networks and automates all of the steps needed to provision the networks, including DHCP configuration.
- Datacenter-wide view of network – ConVirt Open Source provides the ability to define and view host private networks at the data center level, providing an at-a-glance view of the network setup in your environment.
ConVirt Open Source is licensed under GPL and is free to download and use. And if you need support, it is waiting for you. Convirture provides a range of support options for ConVirt Open Source users.
ConVirt Enterprise delivers enterprise-grade management across heterogeneous virtualization platforms, including VMware, Hyper-V, KVM and Xen. ConVirt Enterprise extends ConVirt Open Source with the advanced automation and scalability features, including high availability, backup & restore, and dynamic workload management.
Full VM Lifecycle Management
Get rid of all those scripts and point solutions – ConVirt Enterprise is the only tool you’ll need for day-to-day management and administration of your virtualized infrastructure, including host servers, virtual machines, and related network and storage resources. ConVirt provides full lifecycle management of this infrastructure, including provisioning, configuration, monitoring, administration, and advanced automation and orchestration.
Advanced Automation and Orchestration
ConVirt Enterprise allows you to manage thousands of hosts and virtual machines in a highly scalable and secure fashion with enterprise-grade security and advanced alerting and notification capabilities. By delivering high availability, backup and recovery, dynamic workload management, enterprise integration, and storage and network automation, ConVirt Enterprise enables you to meet and exceed your service levels while using your infrastructure in the most efficient way.
Single Pane of Glass
The majority of enterprise datacenters today use multiple hypervisors. With ConVirt Enterprise as your infrastructure management solution, you are able to leverage single tool with a standarized, “highest common denominator” level of manageability across all your hypervisors. This “single pane of glass” management tool give you centralized visibility and control of your entire virtualized datacenter.
Below is a summary of the key automation and scalability features available with the ConVirt Enterprise product. High availability
ConVirt Enterprise ensures that your mission-critical applications are always up and running by delivering a comprehensive high availability feature set.
- Virtual machine failover – ConVirt Enterprise continuously monitors the status of all of the virtual machines configured for high availability and automatically restarts them in case of failure, making sure that you minimize the downtime associated with operating system crashes.
- Physical server failover – Whenever ConVirt Enterprise detects that a physical server is down, it will automatically restart all of the virtual machines on a different server in the server pool. When setting up high availability, you can dedicate a standby server to use for failover or you can instruct ConVirt Enterprise to use its intelligent virtual machine placement capabilities, to optimize placements based on your pre-defined business objectives.
Dynamic Workload Management
ConVirt Enterprise enables you to take full advantage of the agility introduced by virtualization with policy-based workload management. You can define high-level policies, such as “run the datacenter in the power saving mode” or “distribute load evenly across the server pool”, and ConVirt Enterprise will automatically re-allocate resources to meet your business objectives. With dynamic workload management, you can meet and exceed your service levels, while utilizing your infrastructure more efficiently.
Backup and recovery
ConVirt Enterprise introduces a backup and recovery feature set, helping you successfully recover from planned and unplanned outages.
- Scheduled backups – ConVirt Enterprise provides backup scheduling capabilities, enabling you to specify which virtual machines should be backed up and how often. You can select individual virtual machines or configure settings at a server pool level, indicate specific backup times or optimize large-scale operations by specifying backup windows, such as “every night” or “every Sunday”.
- On-demand backup – Whenever you are making changes to a virtual machine, it is critical to be able to take a snapshot, to make sure that you can revert to the last working state. With ConVirt Enterprise, you can backup virtual machines on-demand with just a click of a button.
- Restore – Restoring a virtual machine cannot be easier with ConVirt Enterprise. You can revert to either the last known state or any of the earlier backups. Since ConVirt Enterprise backs up both virtual machine state and storage, you are guaranteed to bring up the virtual machine in a consistent state.
Storage and network automation
- Network Configuration – ConVirt Enterprise provides a centralized interface for managing your virtual networks.You can define virtual host private networks or VLANs that span multiple servers in the server pool, and let ConVirt Enterprise do the required configuration, such as network bridge setup.
- Storage configuration – Standardizing storage across a server pool is critical to enabling virtual machine migration. ConVirt Enterprise significantly simplifies this task by automating configuration of all storage types, including NFS, iSCSi, Fibre Channel, AOE and LVM. All you need to do is associate storage resources with a server pool, and ConVirt Enterprise will automatically configure each physical server within the pool to access the shared storage.
Fine-grained access control
ConVirt Enterprise supports role-based access control, allowing you to share responsibility in a scalable way while maintaining full accountability. Based on their roles, users get automatically assigned privileges and access to managed entities. At the same time, all user actions are continuously audited, letting you keep track of the changes in your environment.
- LDAP support – ConVirt Enterprise simplifies user administration by supporting LDAP-based authentication and role creation, ensuring that all of ConVirt privileges are consistent with your corporate policies.
Alerting and notification
ConVirt Enterprise helps you scale your virtualization environment by enabling alerting and notification capabilities. You no longer need to continuously monitor the ConVirt Enterprise screen for failures. Instead, you can setup alerts and notification, and ConVirt Enterprise will automatically send an email to the on-call administrators when issues occur.
ConVirt Enterprise enables you to manage VMWare ESXi and vCenter-based deployments side-by-side with Xen and KVM. Previously, a management tool this sophisticated for VMware users was only available to buyers of vSphere, which came with a significant price tag and restricted management to VMware platform only. For existing VMware vCenter users, there is no “rip-and-replace” required. ConVirt works alongside vCenter and is available to handle many of the most commonly executed tasks. VMware-specific features include:
- Centralized Management of ESXi environment – ConVirt Enterprise enables you to monitor and manage ESXi servers from a central console. ISO-based templates can be used to easily provision multiple virtual machines. Common virtual machine operations like start, stop and connect to VM console are provided within ConVirt Enterprise.
- Day-to-day management of vCenter environment – ConVirt Enterprise enables you to discover, monitor and manage vCenter deployments from within ConVirt Enterprise. You can perform most of the commonly executed tasks, such as virtual machine administration, provisioning based on vCenter templates, virtual machine to template conversion, vMotion, maintenance mode, and more!
ConVirt Enterprise enables you to manage multiple Hyper-V hosts and virtual machines side-by-side with VMware, Xen and KVM. Previously, a management tool this sophisticated for Hyper-V users was only available to buyers of System Center VMM, which came with a significant price tag and complexity. Key features include:
- Centralized Management across multiple Hyper-V hosts – ConVirt provides full lifecycle management of your Hyper-V infrastructure from a single console, including provisioning, configuration, monitoring, administration, and advanced automation and orchestration. ConVirt provides all the operations you need for day-to-day administration of hosts and virtual machines, including template-based provisioning, live migration, maintenance mode, and common virtual machine operations like start, stop and connect to console.
- ConVirt features NOT present in Hyper-V Manager
- Web console
- Historical metrics
- VM scheduling and retirement
- Multi-administrator annotations
- At-a-glance metric dashboards
- Intelligent provisioning
- And more!
ConVirt Enterprise provides a full suite of integration capabilities, including an open repository, command line interface, and programmatic APIs. You can easily integrate ConVirt Enterprise with other tools, write scripts to perform batch operations, or run custom reports against the ConVirt Enterprise repository.
ConVirt Open Source Features
In addition to the scalability and advanced automation functionality outlined above, ConVirt Enterprise supports all of the features available with the ConVirt Open Source product, such as:
- 3-tier, standards-based architecture
- Server pool-based management
- Templates-based provisioning
- Monitoring and configuration management
- Comprehensive virtual machine administration
How to Buy
ConVirt Enterprise is a commercially licensed product. Please contact sales to learn more about how ConVirt Enterprise can help you manage your virtualized data center. You can also download a 30-day Free Trial here.
ConVirt Enterprise Cloud enables you to manage your private or public clouds side-by-side with the rest of your virtualized environment.
Create A Private Cloud From Your Virtualization Infrastructure
With ConVirt Enterprise Cloud, you can quickly and seamlessly transition a part of your existing infrastructure into a cloud operations model, allowing you to offer “virtualization as a service”. Leveraging ConVirt’s Virtual Data Center, you can deliver multi-tenant, isolated, fully provisioned infrastructure via a web-based self-service console to your customers.
Manage Your Private Cloud Platforms From A Single Pane of Glass
ConVirt Enterprise Cloud enables you to manage your virtualized data center and enterprise cloud from a single console, ensuring that you always have full visibility into your environment and preventing infrastructure and management silos. At the same time, you retain the ability to promptly respond to the changing demands of your business by managing the mix of how your datacenter resources are allocated between traditional virtualized applications and the enterprise cloud.
Bring Amazon Into The Data Center With Quota And User Management
With ConVirt Enterprise Cloud, you can manage Amazon Web Services from the same console as your private cloud and virtualization infrastructure. Leveraging ConVirt’s Virtual Data Center, you can deliver AWS infrastructure via a web-based self-service console to your customers with full quota and user management.
Below is a summary of key features of ConVirt Enterprise Cloud: Seamless virtualized-to-cloud conversion
Setting up a private cloud cannot be easier with ConVirt Enterprise Cloud. In fact, if you already have virtualization deployed in your data center, you have all the technology you need to run a private cloud. All you need to do is with a few simple clicks designate which parts of your existing infrastructure (server pools, networks, storage, and templates) should be used for the cloud deployment. ConVirt Enterprise Coud will take care of everything else!
Hybrid cloud support via integration with Amazon Web Services
Public clouds provide a convenient way to quickly add capacity. However, that extra capacity often comes with extra management overhead, since you now need to track two separate deployments using different tools. ConVirt Enterprise Cloud enables you to integrate your Amazon Web Service account into your ConVirt console. Then, from within ConVirt, you can provision new virtual datacenters, manage virtual machines, configure security groups, and much more. This enables you to get a centralized view of your cloud resources and clients, irrespective of whether they are hosted in your data center or remotely.
Virtual Data Centers and Self Service
Virtual Data Centers enable you to provision new cloud clients within seconds.
- Resource limiting – ConVirt Enterprise Cloud enables you to limit the compute, storage, and network resources that your cloud clients can use, ensuring that they do not go above the allocated quota. Clients can continuously monitor their resource consumption via the user console, making sure that they are not surprised when they run out of resources.
- Delegated control – ConVirt Enterprise Cloud gives you full flexibility in choosing the extent of control you want to delegate to your clients. Whether you choose to pre-configure everything and give the client a view-only screen, or dedicate computing resources and let the client create, provision, and manage custom applications, ConVirt Enterprise Cloud has you covered.
- Highly-interactive user console – Each client gets access to ConVirt’s highly interactive web-based user interface, where they can manage their virtual machines, templates, networks, and quota without having any visibility into the underlying physical infrastructure.
Full Multi-Tenant Security
ConVirt Enterprise Cloud delivers fine-grained, role-based access control, enabling you to share your infrastructure resources among multiple clients while ensuring full isolation. Clients get to see only the server, storage, and network resources that have been allocated to them.
Flexible Service Offerings
ConVirt Enterprise Cloud enables you to pre-configure a set of service offerings, such as small, medium, large virtual machines, and make those available to your cloud users. Alternatively, for clients that require more flexibility, you can enable them to create and upload their own templates. Whether using public or private templates, cloud users can provision new virtual machines with a few simple clicks.
ConVirt Enterprise Cloud gives you full flexibility in setting up networking for your cloud clients.
- Network isolation – By default, each client is assigned a separate VLAN in order to ensure full network isolation. Additionally, you can choose to allow clients to create a limited number of their own private networks.
- Access to existing corporate networks – In cases where network isolation is not required, ConVirt Enterprise Cloud enables you to grant clients access to existing corporate networks.
Public IP Management
ConVirt Enterprise Cloud enables clients to optionally make their virtual machines accessible over the Internet by assigning a public IP address. You define a Public IP pool and assign Public IP quotas to Virtual Data Centers. Clients can then request a Public IP, assign it to a virtual machine, and release it back into the Public IP pool.
Optimized cloud resource usage
ConVirt Enterprise Cloud enables you to optimize your cloud resource usage in accordance with your business priorities. You can define high-level policies, such as “run the cloud in the power saving mode” or “distribute load evenly across the cloud”, and ConVirt Enterprise Cloud will automatically re-allocate resources to meet your business objectives.
Highly available cloud
You can configure high availability, to protect critical applications against virtual machine and physical server failures, giving both you and your clients a peace of mind that those applications are always up and running. Alternatively, you can provide differentiated levels of service based on availability requirements of your clients.
ConVirt Enterprise Cloud exposes a full set of APIs, enabling tight integration with other systems, such as self-service portal.
Support for 3rd party private cloud infrastructure platforms
If you have already decided on or deployed a traditional cloud infrastructure platform, such as OpenStack or Eucalyptus, ConVirt Enterprise Cloud allows you to integrate that deployment into your ConVirt environment. You can then perform all of necessary management functions, such as provisioning Virtual Data Centers, virtual machine management, etc. from within ConVirt Enterprise Cloud, while gaining the advantage of full visibility across your entire environment.
ConVirt Enterprise Features
In addition to the cloud specific features, ConVirt Enterprise Cloud includes all of the features available with ConVirt Enterprise, including:
- 3-tier, standards-based architecture
- Server pool-based management
- Templates-based provisioning
- Monitoring and configuration management
- Comprehensive virtual machine administration
- Dynamic Workload Management
- High availability
- Backup and recovery
- Storage and network automation
- Alerting and notification
How to Buy ConVirt Enterprise Cloud is a commercially licensed product. Please contact sales to learn more about how ConVirt Enterprise Cloud can help you manage your virtualized data center and private cloud environments.